Since today is all about college football (which I truly don’t get… I know there’s a gentlemen’s agreement between the NFL and NCAA to leave Sunday open for pro ball, but these games are supposed to be played on New Years’ Day). I’m looking forward to two games this year – Stanford vs. Oklahoma State and Oregon vs. Wisconson – I think OSU will beat Stanford, but regardless, the winner will have the ‘we didn’t get a chance’ argument wrapped up solid for this year. That said, all of today’s games have a long way to go to outdo the amazing Washington / Baylor game. There’s something to be said for leaving your defense at home during bowl season.
Other Seasonal Thoughts:
- New Years’ resolution #1: eat less, exercise more (this one is approaching the lifetime achievement award for unrealized resolutions)
- New Years’ resolution #2: get on top and stay on top of the household chores. As Bob Knox used to say: owning a home is God’s way of making sure you never have too much time or too much money. I want to take better care of the old abode.
Finally, a quick look at the NFL post season:
- My Steelers are in the playoffs but I don’t see them getting past the Ravens or Patriots. They’re just too beat up.
- Denver backed in with a loss yesterday but I think they deserve to be there as they seem to know how to play defense. The Raiders just couldn’t make a stop all day and if you can’t make a stop when your season is at stake you should have to stay home.
- Same thing goes for the Cowboys. They just couldn’t make a stop when it mattered. Does it always come down to offensive and defensive line play?
- And then how about Matt Flynn? He’s definitely got the ‘Matt Cassel’ effect going, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens with him in the off season. Plus, he’s part of the ‘rename all NFL QB’s Matt’ movement (there was a Grantland.com article on this, but I can’t find it to link it here, but in summary, there are 8 QBs named Matt (Cassel, Flynn, Hasselbeck, Shaub, Leinart, Ryan, Stafford, Moore), and possibly no other QBs who share the same first name… If someone want to compute the odds of that happening I’ll post it here.